Monday 19 May 2014

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro" Review | Movie Monday

Today I'm starting a new segment on my blog, entitled "Movie Monday". Getting straight to the point, I watch a lot of movies. I figure that because I watch so many, there are bound to be some I've seen that others haven't heard of. In the hopes of exposing you to films you might not have heard of otherwise, I'll be posting movie reviews on Mondays. It may not be every Monday, but movie reviews will be posted on this day. Without further ado, here is my very first Movie Monday review.

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" Theatrical Release Poster
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sees Andrew Garfield return as Peter Parker; Peter is dealing with high school graduation and possibly having to say goodbye to Gwen (the amazing Emma Stone...yes, I did that on purpose) as they go on different life paths. Aside from his real-life problems, he also has to battle not one, but two villains in this film.

Jamie Foxx stars as the film's main villain, Electro. I'm a big fan of Jamie Foxx and I think he did a great job as Electro's needy, lonely counterpart, Max Dillon. However, I found Electro's lines really awkwardly delivered; this could have been an issue with the writing, as opposed to the performance, but either way it felt cheesy and strained to me.

I was also not a fan of the makeup for this incarnation of the Green Goblin. He was in the in-between stages of human and full-on Goblin, I get it, but it just looked really muddled and hastily put together.

On the plus side, sassy Spider-Man is back in full force for this sequel. Some of my favourite parts of the film involve his snarky remarks! Here are a few of my favourite scenes:

  • Peter trying to get out of the Spidey Suit before Aunt May comes into his room, then explaining away his filthy face by saying he was cleaning the chimney. "Peter, we don't have a chimney." "Whaaaa-?"
  • Peter and Aunt May arguing over who'll do the laundry - both are hiding their uniforms/costumes from each other.
  • Peter cleverly distracting bad guys so Gwen can get onto the elevator.

*potential spoilers ahead*

And of course, how could I review this film without mentioning it: the scene every Spider-Man comic book reader has been waiting for and dreading. I won't specify what it is in case anyone doesn't know what's coming, but if you've read the comics, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It happened, and it was heartbreaking.

There were definitely some things lacking in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but if you love the building-swinging visuals and witty Spider-Man, you'll probably enjoy this!

Have you seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2? What are your thoughts on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment