Tuesday 13 May 2014

Bout of Books 10.0 Challenge | 10 Books that have been sitting on my shelves for ages that I'm looking forward to reading

One of today's Bout of Books challenges is to write a list of ten books you're looking forward to reading. Well, I have masses of books on my shelves that I've never read before, so I figure what better time is there to make a list of books on my shelves that I want to read?

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


I've wanted to read this for so long, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Once Bout of Books is over, it's the first book I'm going to read. The story is so intriguing to me; the cover is incredibly creepy yet beautiful, and the fact that there are more strange pictures inside is very cool. Everything I know about this novel appeals to me!

2. Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart


I was supposed to read this for school, but in spite of it being really cool, I didn't get very far into it. It's a futuristic novel where technology is all-pervasive - there's pretty much nothing that isn't in some way affected by technology. I feel like although the thought of this happening is somewhat disturbing, it's actually quite plausible.

3. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury



...I was supposed to read this one for school too. This is a dystopian novel and it takes place in a world where books are banned; the firefighters' jobs are to burn any books they find. Seriously, what a cool and absolutely horrifying concept.

4. The Shining by Stephen King



*Sigh* Ok, there were a lot of books I was supposed to read for school but didn't. But I'm trying now, I really am. Twice, I've gotten partway through this novel and it's really good, but for some reason I haven't been able to finish it. It's not because it's too scary for me or anything, although there's this great sense of foreboding throughout. I want to finish this creepy novel, once and for all.

5. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut


Honestly, I picked this up at a garage sale because it was 25 cents and looked really old and worn. I loved Cat's Cradle, which is also by Vonnegut, so I figured I'd give this a try. Plus, I've heard great things about the satire within.

6. The Archived by Victoria Schwab


If you've read my review of Vicious, then you know I love Victoria Schwab's writing. Christine, who introduced me to Schwab's writing, gave me this book. I'm especially excited to read this because from what I understand, the dead in the novel turn into "Histories" (aka books!!) and are archived. How cool would that be? Also, apparently the author had David Tennant's Doctor in mind while writing this. My inner Whovian is exploding to read this.

7. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams


This is the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I want to continue the series because Hitchhiker's had me laughing out loud constantly - the satire is done so incredibly well. It's one of the funniest novels I've ever read. To give you a tidbit of what I mean, there are five books in this trilogy.

8. The Road by Cormac McCarthy


This is a post-apocalyptic novel that follows a father and son as they travel the barren landscapes that follow a global catastrophe. I've seen the movie and it was spectacularly done, but now I want to read the book that inspired it.

9. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


I'm not sure if you're sensing a pattern here, but dystopian/post-apocalyptic/futuristic novels are my kryptonite. 

10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


Yes. I know. I haven't read the last book in the Harry Potter series. I don't know why. I love the whole series but for some reason, I just haven't read the last one! 

What books are you looking forward to reading?

4 comments:

  1. Love that you have such a great mix of books here! The movie for The Road was actually really, really well done, so you're in for a great surprise when you read the book. Thanks for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved the movie, so it's great to hear that the book is amazing as well.

      Delete