Sunday 8 June 2014

"Saga: Volume 1" | Book Review

"Saga: Volume 1" Cover
Saga, written by Brian K. Vaughan and with art by Fiona Staples, follows two young soldiers, Alana and Marko, who are from opposite sides of a galactic war. Both sides are after their newborn baby, Hazel, whose mixed race is seen as an abomination. Running for their lives, they battle bounty hunters and platoons, all while protecting their newborn.

The world-building in this series is wonderful. The galactic war between the Landfallians (who have wings) and the Wreathers (natives of Landfall's moon, Wreath; have horns and antlers) has ensured chaos and hatred between the two races. I've heard Saga compared to the Star Wars series, and in terms of galactic wars I agree, but this series really is in a league of its own.

I love the writing; it's often quite snarky, especially when Alana is involved. I love her as a character - I think she's hilarious. The artwork is absolutely stunning, in my opinion; I think Fiona Staples' artistic style is beautiful so I really enjoy admiring the artwork. In terms of writing and artwork compatibility, Saga has it made - Vaughan and Staples make a great team and the art always matches up with the writing, in terms of facial expressions conveying the witty dialogue and the intended attitude to go with it.

I encountered this series randomly a while ago because the Comixology app on my phone had the first issue available for free. I'd never heard of it before, but the synopsis was intriguing so I decided to give it a shot - and I was blown away.

If you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy stories, beautiful artwork and witty dialogue, then Saga is for you!

What comics do you enjoy?

You can also read my reviews of Volume 2 and Volume 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment