Friday 20 June 2014

"Cinder" | Book Review

"Cinder" Book Cover
 Cinder is a fascinatingly futuristic re-imagining of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella. The title character is a cyborg working as a mechanic, but most of her earnings go to her cruel step-mother, who is very clear about her hatred for the girl. As a plague hits New Beijing and Cinder is tasked with fixing Prince Kai's beloved android, she quickly becomes entangled in intergalactic issues and must learn more about her mysterious past in order to protect the planet.

 I love this adaptation. It's so different from the original story in that it takes place in a future very different from what we know right now - the descriptions are so vivid that while I read this, I felt like I was in the future, experiencing and seeing everything Cinder was! It's also really fun to notice all the parallels as you progress through the story. Even the things that were changed from the original - like Cinder's cyborg foot instead of a glass slipper, and certain aspects of her relationship with her step-sisters - were done in a way that I felt suited this version of the story better.

I found Cinder herself to be an interesting character and an even better role model. She is self-reliant and self-sufficient, always wanting and willing to get things done on her own. She faces a lot of discrimination because her society frowns upon cyborgs - they are not seen as "whole". Because of this prejudice, she is often undeservedly hard on herself, but through all her troubles, she perseveres.

My only criticism is that there was a bit of insta-love between Cinder and Prince Kai. Having said that, I can forgive it in this case because this is an adaptation of Cinderella, after all.

I recommend this novel to anyone who is interested in a unique twist on fairy tales!

Read about the Marissa Meyer book signing I attended.

What's your favourite fairy tale?

No comments:

Post a Comment