Monday 16 June 2014

"Maleficent" Review | Movie Monday

"Maleficent" Theatrical Release Poster
Maleficent is a re-telling of the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty, with a twist: it's told from the point of view of the villain, Maleficent (Angelina Jolie). Bent on vengeance after she is betrayed by her childhood friend, Stefan (Sharlto Copley), Maleficent curses his newborn daughter, Aurora (Elle Fanning). As the girl grows up and spends more time in the Moors, Maleficent begins to wonder if she made the right decision by cursing her.

I really like this movie. I've been looking forward to it ever since I found out it was being made, and I'm glad I finally got to see it. I like that we get to see Maleficent's side of the story, because she's always interested me.

I enjoyed seeing Maleficent grow up in the Moors, the forest land she resides in. In the beginning, there are definitely some "classic Disney" moments, by which I mean there were times when the film borders on cheesy fairy tale story. The scenery was beautiful and filled with fascinating, fantastical creatures.

The event that leads to her thirst for revenge is heartbreaking, particularly hearing her cries of anguish. I'm really glad they didn't make Maleficent into a purely evil villain - she has legitimate reasons for what she's doing, even if her curse is misplaced. She also has doubts. She's a highly intelligent woman who is constantly considering and observing what she's done, and admits when she realizes she's done wrong.

The film is visually stunning, including Maleficent herself. I'm really impresses by the makeup and costumes she has; everything about her is so elegant, from her horns to her cheekbones to her clothes. I think this version of Maleficent is absolutely beautiful.

I love the way they did some of the lighting - in the scenes where Maleficent is in the dark, there's a soft glow of light on her, just enough so that there's a twinkle in her eyes.

If you love the Disney princess movies, you'll love this re-telling of the classic Sleeping Beauty, from a whole new perspective.

Which Disney villain do you want to have their own movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment